Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK Day

So after a great weekend I had the bonus of today off. First of all, thank you MLK for all you did for this country, you are quite the inspiration to us all. Today I slept in, went to the gym with my other teacher friend Melissa (where I dropped a 35 lb bar on my big toe, ouch!), headed to the grocery store (which was empty!) then came home and did some cooking and cleaning. Before I left for the gym I decided to put our new slowcooker to use. My parents have been raving about a roast recipe from Meredith and so I gave it a try. I stole tons of recipes from Meredith and they have all be awesome. Haven't tried it yet but it smells amazing. Here's a photo of the Costco investment!

The recipe for the roast (I added mushrooms):
While the roast was cooking I also tried a new Paleo recipe for Pumpkin Muffins. They turned out so good and I can't wait to eat them for breakfast this week.
The Pumpkin Muffins consisted of:
1.5 cups Almond Flour
3/4 cup canned Pumpkin
3 whole eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Bake @ 350 for 25 minutes.


I miss read the recipe and put 3/4 a can of pumpkin in...it doesn't seem to have mattered thankfully! If they had powdered sugar on them I would have thought I was at Panera.When my parents were here for Halloween they left a bottle of wine they didn't end up drinking. Since they have moved around the world they have become wine snobs and I have enjoyed tasting the wines they carefully select when they are around. The wine they left was a red wine, and I have never enjoyed red. However, I knew Brittnay likes red so when she came over I decided to open it up since it would not go unappreciated. To my surprise I really liked it. The bottle was made at a winery near where my mom and dad live in Australia that we visited, an added reason to like it. I would get it again (not that I would pay that much for wine), but I am feeling rather grown up now that I can drink red.

Another wine I have come to love we discovered at Market Street when they were doing a wine tasting event. It's nothing fancy but a mix of wines that are my favorite (Reisling particularly).








Today I started taking vitamin D and fish oil. Paleo suggest you add these to your diet so I am giving it a try. Vitamin D comes from the sun (and dairy) so I figured it had to be good. It's also the vitamin that can help make you happy, so I am in! All I remember about fish oil is that my grandpa took it and kept in the freezer. So do you know where my fish oil is kept? Yep, in the freezer. Not sure why but why not? I made sure to get the fish oil that is odorless and it says "No Fishy Burps" on the bottle, a must ha! Walgreens was having a sale, BOGO, I now have enough Vitamin D to last me the year and enough fish oil for half the year. Let's hope I keep this up.

Another purchase I am excited about is this tupperware type container I found on clearance at Market Street. You put your salad in the bottom and the lid has a place for the dressing that you push and it squirts in onto the salad. Love it!


And to close this blog I'm going to leave for with pictures of two things in the yard that just crack me up. Atleast they are in the back yard now, they started in the front.
Doesn't everyone need a gator and a Penn State gnome in the yard? Thank you Mr. Bonner for the PSU gnome. The yard wasn't complete without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment